Graduate Development Program
We recognise that the transition to practice can be a challenging time for new graduates. Our structured Graduate Development Program identifies the key areas of professional development from both a clinical and pastoral perspective to ensure that graduates feel supported whilst being given the freedom to learn and develop the competencies essential to their future success.
Graduate Program Key Objectives
- To introduce graduates to Apiam’s culture and values.
- To support graduates as they commence their professional career and to demonstrate the variety of career path opportunities available within Apiam.
- To enable graduates to work efficiently and safely.
- To ensure graduates achieve clinical competence and confidence across a range of species.
- To ensure graduates are valuable and integrated team members and to build their Apiam peer support network.
- To ensure graduates build and maintain a supportive peer network within Apiam.
Graduate Program Initiatives
- 24 month program for newly or recently qualified veterinarians.
- On-line and face-to-face soft skills training including Emotional Intelligence, Stress Management, Communication Skills and Leadership.
- Formal Mentor Program where graduates are matched with experienced veterinarians both within and external to their clinic team, to provide support both clinically and non-clinically.
- Recording and monitoring of clinical skills to allow achievable goals to be set and career pathways to be developed.
- Annual Grad Week Conference consisting of practical continuing education workshops to fast-track clinical skills plus social events to get to know peers and colleagues from across our network.
- Internal opportunities within the Apiam network to further develop graduates’ specific areas of interest.
Apiam Graduate Week Conference
Apiam’s Graduate Week Conference brings together our future veterinary leaders in Bendigo.
The program consists of practical learning over a week with Apiam vets in the first 0–3 years of their career being eligible to attend.
The Conference includes three streams:
- companion animal,
- equine and
And collaborative team-building sessions.
Graduate Program Career Support
The companion animal stream includes practical dentistry, dental radiography using iM3 imaging, behavioural medicine, consulting technique and canine ultrasound.
The cattle stream covers uterine torsions, tracheal washes as a diagnostic tool, subcutaneous foetotomies, liver biopsies, intravenous fluid therapy in calves, lab diagnostics and ProDairy consultancy. These two streams take place at the veterinary and nursing facilities at Bendigo TAFE.
The equine program foccusses on lameness covering examination, diagnostics and podiatry, with some additional sessions including equine emergencies, opthalmic examination and reproduction. Delegates travel to Ballarat Veterinary Practice Equine Clinic and Kilmore Equine Clinic for most of the equine sessions with the remainder occurring at Bendigo TAFE.
The collaborative sessions are hosted by members of the Apiam Business Support Network and Executive Team. There is also a focus on veterinary well-being with workshops from Make Headway and Driver Dynamics.
No conference would be complete without a full social program! The Graduate conference does not dissapoint with a mix of fun activities, casual eating and more formal occasions – there is something to suit everybody.
- Setting yourself up for success
- Building resilience
- Developing Support Networks
- Emotional Intelligence
- Mindfulness & stress management
- Training assertiveness in practice
- Positive communication strategies
- Looking after yourself – the importance of self-care
- Work – life balance
- Goal setting
- Cattle Obstetrics & Surgery
- Lameness in Cattle
- Down Cows
- From Calf to Calving
- Companion Animal Dentistry
- Companion Animal Imaging
- Companion Animal Emergency and Critical Care
- Introduction to Equine Dentistry
Graduate Friendly Positions
If you enjoy a game of golf, wetting a line or all variety of outdoor...
Don Crosby Veterinary Surgeons is a 6 vet mixed practice approximately...
Apiam Animal Health is excited to be recruiting a veterinary team for...
Smithton Veterinary Service requires an experienced mixed / cattle...