When snakes first come out of hibernation their venom toxicity is at it’s highest and they are usually far more aggressive!
And they are already out and about as one unlucky pooch discovered last weekend! Well unlucky but lucky because his owners took immediate action and saved his life.
Read on to find out just what happened.
The victim, a happy pooch, was busy playing outside in his yard on Saturday morning. When his owner’s went out to see him, just before midday, they found him unable to get up, with laboured breathing, visible shaking and funny eyes (dilated pupils).
The usually happy bouncy pooch was not responsive to them at all.
They jumped in the car and headed to their closest Fur Life Vet clinic, calling at the same time to let the vet know they were on the way.
At Fur Life Vet the dog was emergency triaged upon arrival where his symptoms immediately arose suspicion of a snake bite which was then confirmed via a blood test.
Treatment was started immediately with the administration of antivenin.
Due to the quick response by this dogos owner and the Fur Life Vet staff, he has made a full recovery and is back home enjoying life with his very relieved family.
The important take out here is that this family live in a built up suburban area and had never seen a snake anywhere near their home before.
If you suspect your pet has been bitten by a snake you should immobilise your pet and try to keep it as quiet as possible, it is vital you get your pet to a veterinarian as quickly as possible, the sooner your pet is treated the better its chances of survival.
Make sure you call your vet straight away so they can prepare for your arrival.
There is a blood or urine test that can identify whether your animal has been bitten and the type of snake responsible so it is not necessary to put yourself at risk or to waste time trying to identify the snake responsible.